Saturday, January 15, 2011

We have a tooth!

Hey guys!

I am proud to announce that my precious 5 1/2 month old baby boy has his first tooth!! It came so quickly and was so tiny that I didn't even notice it!  We had been feeling his gums and knew that it would happen soon as you could feel the little hard nubs on his gums.  It wasn't until I got home from bootcamp Thursday night that Cory told me our little one had his first tooth.  When I felt around, there it was, a little sharper than normal and a tiny white thing sticking above his gum.  Very hard to see.  The next morning it was a little more noticeable and today even more so. 

I feel so proud!  Isn't that strange?  I always feel proud when people say anything about him.  "Wow, he sure is a big boy!" - I get this a lot and for some reason I feel overcome with pride and joy, like I must be doing something right when in reality he was just a big boy to begin with and has grown accordingly.  "Look at those big blue eyes!" - again I feel about 10 feet tall when someone says this.

You know how people say that parents always think their baby is the cutest one there ever was?  This is so true.  I honestly think that Harrison is the cutest little fella around and has been since the day he was born.  His constant smiles light up the room, his laughter warms my heart.  He isn't too big, he isn't too small.  He is, in a word, perfect.  Cory said to me once when we were basically congratulating ourselves on the beautiful child we made, "do you think we just think he's this perfect because we're his parents?  Do you think other people think he's not so cute?"  This hadn't even occurred to me.  We think he's this cute because he really is this cute!  How could anyone think any differently?  I can't even fathom it.  Think about it though, you know you have all at one point or another seen a picture of a newborn and thought to yourself "oh all newborns look the same", or "he'll grow into his ears/nose/chin before long".  Is this what people think/thought about my child?  No.  I still believe he is the cutest baby boy and everyone else must think so too.

I find myself constantly wishing for time to slow down and speed up when it comes to motherhood.  I keep waiting for the next milestone.  First smile, first laugh, first sleep through the night, first tooth, and now I can't wait for him to be able to sit up on his own so he can play with his new toys he got for Christmas, and say Mama and Dada.  At the same time I can't believe my tiny baby is about 20 lbs!!  He has doubled his birth weight!  He will be changing into the bigger car seat soon.  He will soon be ready to start solids.  How can all these things be happening so fast??  SLOW DOWN TIME!!  It's a constant battle between wanting him to grow and develop and discover everything and everyone around him, and wanting him to say my little boy forever.  I see this battle continuing for, oh I don't know, the rest of his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment