Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes Recap

Hey guys!

So, the Golden Globes have come and gone.  It was good.  Not great, but good.  I have re-watched one speech and the opening monologue so that tells me that there weren't all that many "great" moments.

Ricky Gervais was hilarious.  He definitley took it farther than last year.  He has said countless times in interviews that he was going to push the boundaries to the point of guaranteeing he would not be asked back for a third time.  I think he probably succeeded.  Although, based on the ratings and feedback from the audience, they should ask him back.  I read that some celebrities' reps made complaints about some of his jabs so I'm guessing celebs trump actual viewers.  Robert Downey Jr. apparently felt that some of his jokes were mean-spirited.  I don't agree.  Some of them were probably inappopriate given the environment, maybe distasteful (which you could also call Robert Downey's Jr's jokes when he was presenting), but I don't think the guy would intentionally hurt anyone.  It's his job to poke fun at the headlines, movies, TV shows, and actors of the year.  Plus, the guy did the same thing last year, so the HFPA knew what they were getting into.  I say job well done.

Movie Awards:   Boring.  There were not any real surprises here.  The Social Network did quite well which I was glad for as I really enjoyed the movie.  Best Actor and Best Actress were Colin Firth and Natalie Portman respectively which is exactly what everyone said would happen. 

TV Awards:  Better.  Chris Colfer (Kurt) from Glee won and he had the best reaction and speech.  It was awesome.  He was clearly shocked and overwhelmed and the sheer "glee" on the faces of his fellow cast members was moving.  He made some adorable comment about dropping his heart somewhere between Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore, and he stood up for the Kurts of the world.  Lovely.

I have to admit I was surprised when Glee won Best Comedy Series over Modern Family.  I have to say I don't really agree.  I love Glee, don't get me wrong.  Modern Family is more of a comedy, though.  It's spot on in every episode.  I would have been happy with either one winning, but I have to say I sort of felt like Modern Family got screwed a bit on that one.  I think they'll get the SAG award over Glee, though.

Fashion:  The ladies did well with their dress choices.  I didn't see too many horrendous ones.  I thought Olivia Wilde looked like she was wearing a prom dress.  Scarlett Johanson looked like she might have been wearing a nightgown.  There was a lot of green.  Mila Kunis wore it best, I thought.  Others that stood out to me for looking great were Eva Longoria, Mandy Moore, and Sandra Bullock (loved her bangs too!).  Others that stood out to me as having made some odd fashion choices were Michelle Williams, Christina Aguilera, Emma Stone, and Leighton Meester. 

All in all it was enjoyable but I've seen better.  I'm looking forward to the Screen Actor's Guild awards in two weeks.

Did anyone else watch?  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment