Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's Award Show Season - Hooray!

The new year brings with it a slew of award shows and I LOVE IT!!  I know, I know - I am a complete geek.  My brother and I have loved the award shows since we were kids.  We would get treats and stay up late and cheer on our favourite singers, actors, and movies. 

The Golden Globes are my favourite because they include movies and television - the best of both worlds.  Plus, this year they are being hosted by Ricky Gervais who I find delightfully hilarious.  The best part about the nominations this year is that the movies that are up for the big awards are ones I have actually heard of.  I have yet to see any of them but my plan is to watch all five before the show next Sunday.  They are Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The King's Speech, and The Social Network.  I haven't seen any of them yet!  I have Black Swan and The Social Network downloaded and ready to go.  Have you guys seen any of them?  What did you think?  Fill me in!

It's always fun when your very favourite shows are nominated as well.  Lucky for me, I am a huge fan of Modern Family and Glee which are highly regarded in the awards world.  If only my favourite dramatic shows were as well received.  Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice unfortunately don't get recognized much anymore. 

I watched the first awards show of the season last night - the People's Choice Awards.  I am never a big watcher of this one because it always seems like they give the awards to whoever accepted the invitation to the show and is sitting in the audience.  It was a very awkward broadcast.  Queen Latifah was the host and she made a lot of jokes that nobody laughed at, and I found myself closing my eyes and wanting them to just get on with the next award.  Even then, though, when they brought out the celebrities to present the award it was even more awkward.  They would read from the teleprompter something that was undoubtedly supposed to be funny and cute but it more often than not came off flat and embarrassing.  I had to do a lot of fast-forwarding on my DVR. 

Anyway, I am embarrassed to say that I am incredibly excited for the Golden Globes and I hope that I can convince my hubby to watch with me and indulge me as I cheer on my favourites.  Anyone else an awards show junkie like me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment