Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's Saturday!

Hi everyone!  Happy Weekend!

I love the weekends because it means my hubby is home for a whole two days.  It's a lot easier to care for a teething baby when you have two adults to pass him between!  Poor Harrison is really bothered by his teeth today.  I gave him Tylenol for the first time last night before bed as he seemed to be in quite a bit of pain.  He isn't screaming but he is kind of half crying and is constantly chewing on anything he can.  I felt his gums for the first time today (the thought of this really grossed me out so I deferred before today) and you can feel two raised nubs, so they are bound to come through any day.  From what I understand though, many babies can be hysterical during this time, so I know I am lucky.  He doesn't seem able to sleep as long during his naps and feeding him a bottle is a challenge because he just keeps wanting to chew on the nipple.  Poor little guy.  We are so proud of him for being a trooper.  I wish they would just come through already.  If anyone has any really good tips on how to soothe a teething baby, I would love to hear them!

Cory went grocery shopping today as we were pretty much out of everything.  More importantly I needed food here quickly before I made a trip to McDonald's or something.  As you probably read, I am trying to eat better this year.  I am probably the worst eater out there.  I eat like a five year old.  Always have.  I don't like vegetables.  I don't like a lot of things, actually.  Fast food is my weakness.  I love it.  I love it.  I love it.  Some people crave chocolate.  Others crave salt.  I crave a cheeseburger combo.  I've been that way forever.  I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not exercise at all and still be a stick.  Those days have long since passed and despite upping my exercise routine (see yesterday's post), this baby weight doesn't appear to be going anywhere yet.  So I'm forced to make some changes.  I'll never be a really healthy eater.  I am trying to improve though. 

I'm not eliminating any particular foods from my diet.  That's just trouble.  If I said I would never eat fast food again I'd last maybe a week and then I would eat nothing else but for another week.  I just have to limit myself to these "treats" once in a while.  My other real weakness is Pepsi.  Cory and I made a deal that we won't buy Pepsi to have in the house anymore.  If I'm out somewhere I'll get a glass but it's keeping it in the house that really caused me to drink it like it was water.  So the Pepsi ran out a few days ago and I've done great so far.  I'm trying to drink water all the time but it's tough to get into that routine too.  I know for sure I don't drink enough water because I often feel dehydrated after working out. 

I'm lucky to have a husband who really wants to make these changes with me.  He has always told me I drink too much pop, eat too much fast food, and I knew he was right.  It just took time for me to want to change it.  I am at that place now.  I hope I stay in that place.  So we will buy healthier foods (that trip to the grocery store included no treats at all - no chips, cookies, cakes, or pop) and work together to become healthier in 2011.  I'm proud to say that so far today I had high fibre cereal, fruit, salad, and a chicken sandwich to eat and it was all delicious.  I just have to take it one day at a time.

What are your food weaknesses and how are you working to stay away from them?

2 comments:

  1. Okay, first of all...you ate a salad today??? OMG, I am so proud of you!!! I wish I could force salad down my throat! You know what my weaknesses are: CHIPS, fast food (especially fries)and anything else salty (mini pizzas, chicken fingers, etc)! Eating healthier is the hardest thing ever! You're doing awesome and I'm especially proud of you for the Pepsi - I konw how hard it is for you! Keep it up!
    - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salads but I try to make them special. Spinach, salad greens, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apple, cashews, almonds, walnuts, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, goat cheese (or feta) on top, raspberry vinagrette or balsamic, - it's so delicious and most times I throw a chicken breast on top. It's a full meal.

    ReplyDelete